Late Comeback Powers Baseball Past Greenport

Yesterday afternoon, the baseball team continued a darkness-suspended game from Monday and prevailed in walk-off fashion to improve to 2-0 on the season.

Last week’s nor’easter pushed the season opener to Monday and some early season rust showed for the Bears. The first four Porters reach base after a leadoff double and three singles that gave the visitors a 3-0 lead before an out was recorded. Things could have been worse had Seamus Scanlon not battled back on the mound. He responded by striking out three of the next four batters to strand two runners and minimize the damage. The Bears failed to score in the bottom half of the 1st or 2nd innings, but Scanlon settled in, working around a two-out error in the 2nd and a two-out single in the 3rd to keep the Porters within striking distance.

The Bear bats finally woke up in the 3rd as Scanlon and Aidan Mega began the inning with a pair of singles. Joe Wozny followed with a double to center field that plated two to carve into the Greenport lead, but three straight outs stranded Wozny at second. In the top of the 4th, Scanlon sandwiched a walk with a pair of strikeouts, but a two-out error allowed Greenport to tack on another run for a 4-2 lead. After the Bears failed to score in the bottom of the 4th, Scanlon opened the 5th inning with a pair of strikeouts, upping his total to nine, before giving way to Emmanuel Ajewole who ended the inning with a K of his own. The Bears failed to threaten in their half of the 5th.

A scoreless 6th inning gave way to the 7th where Greenport drew three walks to load the bases with only one out. Ajewole responded with a strikeout, but a single plated a fifth run before a perfect throw from Mega caught a runner headed for second in the same sequence. All things considered the Bears were fortunate to get out of the inning with only one run allowed, but they were still staring at a 5-2 deficit with only three outs to go.

The rally started with a single from Scanlon who then swiped second. Mega followed by sending a grounder to third and beating out an infield single to put runners at the corners with nobody out. After Mega stole second, Wozny singled in both runners to bring the Bears within 4-5. Wozny made his way to third on a steal and a wild pitch. Tim Wozny followed with a walk, but a wild pitch on the fourth ball allowed big brother Joe to score from third and tie the game. Dan Rueda reach on an E6 and David Choi walked to load the bases, but a failed suicide squeeze and a strikeout ended the threat in the approaching darkness. At that point the game was suspended.

The game resumed yesterday with the top of the 8th inning. Ajewole worked a 1-2-3 inning with a 5-3 groundout and a pair of strikeouts to give the Bears a chance to walk off in the bottom half. Malik Ulysse earned a leadoff walk on a 3-2 count and moved to second on a wild pitch. A one-out balk moved Ulysse to third and Mega did the rest, lifting a sacrifice fly to left field that plated Ulysse for the 6-5 win.


Bear Paw Thumbnail

Leave a comment! GO BEARS!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s