Yesterday afternoon, the girls’ swim team turned in a historic performance in the League III Championships held at Hauppauge High School. The Bears broke five school records, notched seven top five finishes, and recorded 18 season best performances, while eighth-grader Madi Sargent earned the first two individual League titles for the team since its reignition three years ago.
Sargent won the first individual event of the day, breaking her own 200 freestyle school record in the process with a mark of 1:57.08. The race epitomized her competitive fire as she trailed after each of the seven turns, only to retake the lead in the ensuing 25 yards of open pool. After the final turn she trailed by half a body length, but powered past Sayville/Bayport-Blue Point’s Megan Donelly to win by 0.17 seconds. Sargent’s time also hit the qualifying mark for the New York State Championships by 0.18 seconds.
Sargent’s day was not done as she became one of only three swimmers to earn two individual titles on the day. She shattered her own school record in the 500 freestyle by nearly seven seconds and qualified for a second event at the State Meet with a time of 5:13.89. She and Sayville/Bayport-Blue Point’s Meghan Caraher were neck and neck with 50 yards to go, but Sargent glided past her opponent with deceptive ease to win by over a body length.
Rebecca Crane also had an impressive showing, turning in two top five performances on the afternoon. In her first event, she raced to a 4th place finish in the 50 freestyle and was just off her school record mark in 25.97. She followed that up with a 3rd place finish in the 100 butterfly in 1:03.94. Rachel Crane also raced to two top five finishes, taking 3rd in the 200 individual medley in 2:21.70 and 2nd in the 100 backstroke, breaking her own school record in a time of 1:02.54. Yesenia McKee earned the Bears’ other top five performance of the day, racing to a 5th place finish in the 100 freestyle in a season’s best time of 1:00.86.
The two freestyle relays raced to 2nd place finishes, breaking school records in the process. The 200 freestyle team of Rebecca Crane, Rachel Crane, Francine Leung, and Sargent surged to a time of 1:45.48, shaving over two seconds off their school record mark. In the final event of the day, Sargent, Ruthie Crane, Rebecca Crane, and Rachel Crane obliterated their own 400 freestyle relay school record by nearly five seconds in 3:49.38.
The Bears dive back in on Saturday, November 4 as Rebecca Crane, Rachel Crane, McKee, and Sargent race Suffolk’s best in the County Championships at Hauppauge High School.
League III Championship Results
Stony Brook Results
200 Medley Relay
- 5th – Yesenia McKee, Francine Leung, Katherine Von Savage & Masha Volovaya (2:12.38) – Season Best
- 1st – Madi Sargent (1:57.08) – School Record, State Qualifier
- 12th – Anya Caraiani (2:25.17) – Season Best
- 14th – Rhiannon Jeffrey (2:46.36)
200 Individual Medley
- 3rd – Rachel Crane (2:21.70) – Season Best
- 4th – Rebecca Crane (25.97) – Season Best
- 11th – Francine Leung (27.92) – Season Best
- 15th – Kate Jones (31.74) – Season Best
- 3rd – Rebecca Crane (1:03.94) – Season Best
- 11th – Katherine Von Savage (1:16.55)
- 14th – Anya Caraiani (1:17.37) – Season Best
- 5th – Yesenia McKee (1:00.86) – Season Best
- 11th – Ruthie Crane (1:03.95) – Season Best
- 1st – Madi Sargent (5:13.89) – School Record, State Qualifier
- 10th – Ruthie Crane (6:15.94) – Season Best
- 15th – Rhiannon Jeffrey (7:12.87) – Season Best
200 Freestyle Relay
- 2nd – Rebecca Crane, Rachel Crane, Francine Leung & Madi Sargent (1:45.48) – School Record
- 2nd – Rachel Crane (1:02.54) – School Record
- 11th – Kate Jones (1:17.24) – Season Best
- 12th – Yesenia McKee (1:22.62)
- 15th – Francine Leung (1:27.44)
400 Freestyle Relay
- 2nd – Madi Sargent, Ruthie Crane, Rebecca Crane & Rachel Crane (3:49.38) – School Record
Way to go Lady Bears!!! So proud of you!!