Skip to content

On This Day In History | 1994

May 31, 2011

The Bears | Niebuhr (#11), Bickley (#19) & Kenney (Back, 3rd from left)

On this day 17 years ago the boys lacrosse team won a landmark victory over their perennial rival, Comsewogue, to earn the program’s 1st trip to the County Championship.  After falling to Islip 6-8 in the previous year’s semifinal, optimism surrounded the ’94 team as 8 starters returned to the squad.  The rest of the league was not as hopeful of Stony Brook’s chances, as the coaches picked them to finish 4th behind Comsewogue, Rocky Point and Harborfields; however, Newsday mentioned Stony Brook as “a potential dark horse” in the race for the Class B crown.  An early indicator of the team’s potential was a 3-2 victory over Sachem, the 1993 New York State Champions, in an early season scrimmage.  Their season opener was a foreshadowing of the County Championship as the Bears met Half Hollow Hills West, falling 1-6.  The Bears followed the loss with victories over Rocky Point (8-4) and Deer Park (7-1) before a 6-8 setback to Comsewogue.  In the following game the Brook showed their championship mettle by overcoming a 1-6 deficit to defeat Babylon 9-8 in double-overtime on a goal by Sam Hanchett.  The Bears would win 6 of their next 7 games, including a 2-game stretch in which they beat Shoreham-Wading River and Wyandanch by a combined score of 35-11, before once again succumbing to the Warriors of Comsewogue.  The Bears would recover to win their last 3 games of the season over Rocky Point (11-3), Babylon (9-4) and Deer Park (10-4) to finish 12-4 and clinch their 1st Division II Title.

On May 31, 1994 the #3 blue and white met #2 Comsewogue for the 3rd time with a place in the County Championship on the line.  Knotted at 2-2 after the 1st quarter, the Bears surged to a 5-3 halftime lead.  The Brook still led 5-4 entering the 4th quarter, but with 6:05 left in the game the Warriors grabbed their first lead of the contest, securing a 6-5 advantage.  For much of the final 6 minutes both teams were locked in a defensive standstill until Jim Bickley found Spencer Niebuhr for a miracle goal with 6 seconds left to tie the game at 6-6.  Jake Kenney opened up the scoring with only 1:14 gone in the 1st overtime on a pass from Niebuhr as Stony Brook took a 7-6 advantage they would not relinquish.  The Bears scored 2 goals in each of the 2 overtime periods to finally defeat the Warriors in a 10-7 thriller to earn a place in their 1st County Title game.




No comments yet

Leave a comment! GO BEARS!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: