Skip to content

On This Day In History | 1998

January 20, 2011

The Bears | Kuhn (Back, 5th from left), Armstrong (#55), Sherman (Front, 2nd from left), D. Marvin (Front, 2nd from right) & J. Marvin (Front, 1st on right)

On this day 13 years ago the boys basketball team traveled to Greenport looking to improve to 10-1 on the season, but knowing it would not be an easy prospect.  The Bears fell behind quickly 12-17 after the 1st quarter but fought back to within 3 at halftime. Over the 2nd and 3rd quarters the Bears’ defense held the Porters to just 12 points and after winning the 3rd 14-5, during which Jon and Dave Marvin scored all of the Brook’s points, the blue and white took a 35-29 into the final quarter.  Greenport began with a quick 5-0 run to get within 1, ushering in a back-and-forth final frame.  Over the next 6:17 there would be 6 lead changes and 4 ties as both teams battled for control.  Trailing 44-46, Jon Marvin drilled a 3-pointer, his 3rd of the game, with just 26 seconds remaining.  A score by Nate Howell pushed the blue and white lead to 49-46 with 10 seconds remaining, but a buzzer-beating 3-pointer left the teams deadlocked at 49-49 at the end of regulation.

Greenport scored the 1st 5 points of overtime and still held a 56-52 edge with just 1:12 remaining.  Jon Marvin hit 2 free throws and Dave Marvin followed with a jumper to knot the score with 48 seconds left.  The Porters took a 58-56 lead with 26 seconds remaining and on the ensuing possession reserve player Redell Armstrong was fouled, putting him on the line for a 1-and-1 with 16 ticks showing on the scoreboard.  In the 10 previous games Armstrong had averaged 2 points per game and had a free throw percentage of 40% (4/10).  Now, he was on the line with the contest’s outcome in the balance.  In a clutch performance he sank both free throws to tie the game at 58.  After a huge defensive stand by the Bears Dave Marvin was fouled with 8 seconds remaining, connecting on the 2nd of 2 free throws to seal the 59-58 victory.  The Marvin brothers scored 63% of the team’s points as Jon led all scorers with 21 and Dave added 16.  Seth Kuhn and Sam Sherman each chipped in 8.

David Marvin made a steal, was fouled and hit the free throw with four seconds remaining in overtime as Stony Brook rallied to beat Greenport, 59-58. Redell Armstrong hit two foul shots to tie the score at 58 for Stony Brook (6-1).

~ Newsday



No comments yet

Leave a comment! GO BEARS!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: