Skip to content

On This Day In History | 1997

November 15, 2010

After a 6-2 regular season the football team qualified for its 1st playoff game since entering Section XI in 1973.  In a Division IV Semifinal game at Mt. Sinai.  On a cold and rainy day the Bears won in a mud bowl over the Mustangs, 18-13, for the 1st and only playoff victory in program history.  Two touchdowns by All-County receiver Jon Marvin and a score by Sean Metz helped propel the blue and white to the historic win.

Marvin finished with 6 catches for 118 yards.

Stony Brook Rolls

From the very beginning and throughout, Stony Brook looked very much like a football team making its first appearance in a playoff game. But the way the Bears responded to adversity was more reminiscent of seasoned veterans.

Fumbles and penalties nearly ruined Stony Brook’s joy but senior quarterback Derek Kenney refused to let the Bears collapse.

Kenney was 8 of 12 for 146 yards and had three touchdown passes to wide receiver Jon Marvin to lead No. 3 Stony Brook to an 18-13 win over second-seeded Mt. Sinai yesterday in a Division IV semifinal. The Bears (7-2) will play at top-seeded Babylon for the division title at 1:30 p.m. Saturday.

“We’re very excited,” coach Steve Diehl said. “We’re thrilled for the kids. They worked hard and pulled this one out.”

The Bears recovered their own fumble on the opening kickoff, but weren’t so fortunate when they lost a fumble on the first play from scrimmage. Mt. Sinai (6-2-1) took advantage as Andrew Masterjohn scored on the next play with a 5-yard run and then kicked the extra point for a 7-0 lead 54 seconds into the game.

The Bears responded as Chris Drew returned the ensuing kickoff to his 45, and on the next play Kenney hit Marvin (six catches, 118 yards) with a 40-yard pass play. Three plays later Kenney found Marvin for a 20-yard touchdown. The point-after attempt was blocked.

The Bears went ahead 12-7 on their first drive of the second half on Kenney’s 25-yard scoring strike to Marvin. A holding penalty on the first play of the drive created a first-and-20, but Kenney hit Ben Bitonti with an 18-yard pass on the next play.

Stony Brook scored on its next possession as Anthony Passalaqua had a 47-yard run to the Mustangs’ 1 and two plays after a penalty pushed Stony Brook back to the 6, Kenney rolled right and found Marvin for a 3-yard scoring strike and an 18-7 lead.

However, the Mustangs drove 75 yards and scored with six minutes left in the fourth quarter on a 3-yard run by Jeff Giosi. Mt. Sinai got the ball back and had a fourth-and-inches from the Bears’ 35 with 2:15 left. But Mark Palios, Ushinde Payne and Kevin Graves stuffed the running attempt.

“It was their first playoff experience and the kids responded great to all the setbacks,” Diehl said. “They kept coming back.”

~ Newsday



No comments yet

Leave a comment! GO BEARS!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: