Skip to content

Bears Win Wild One Over Greenport

October 1, 2015

Another year, another wild, 4-3 victory over the Porters.

Last season the boys’ soccer team dug itself an 0-3 hole at home vs. Greenport, equalized late, and stole the win when David Choi found the top shelf on a free kick with four minutes left. This afternoon the Bears would also knot the game late at 3-3, but the ending was even more improbable than last year’s thrilling finish.

The Porters drew first blood with an early goal, despite shots and time of possession heavily favoring the Bears. The Brook equalized midway through the half when Choi bent a gorgeous ball around the keeper and into the right side netting from just inside the 18-yard-box. Alvaro Martinez Torres kept his torrid scoring stretch alive when he beat his defender to his left and lofted a gorgeous ball into the left side netting. The Bears had several other scoring chances before the end of the half, but settled for a 2-1 edge at the break.

As the second half began, the Porters came out with renewed energy and quickly netted two lackluster goals to recapture a 3-2 advantage. While the Blue and White engineered several scoring opportunities, nothing materialized and time began to wane. As the clock dipped under five minutes, the boys approached desperation, until Mac Bohuny came through. Off of a David Choi corner kick, the junior defenseman made a run to the far post and put a beautiful header across the goal line to bring us back from the brink. Greenport countered with a scoring chance on a free kick just outside the 18-yard box, but the Bear defense brushed it aside. With time left for one final push before overtime the Bears attacked.

Greenport played a throw in right to Jai Narain who served a great pass to Martinez Torres. The Spaniard beat one defender, dribbled to the edge of the 18-yard box and unleashed a low rocket between two other defenders that beat the keeper on the near post with just eight seconds remaining in the match. It was Martinez Torres’ fifth goal in the last three matches.

The final eight seconds ticked off uneventfully and the Bears stole a thrilling match to improve to 2-3 in League VIII play.


Bear Paw Thumbnail

No comments yet

Leave a comment! GO BEARS!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: