Skip to content

Top 10: Wins vs. Greenport

September 17, 2014

This weekend the town of Greenport will celebrate the 25th anniversary of its Maritime Festival, an end-of-summer tradition on the North Fork since 1989. In honor of the occasion, we thought we’d count down our top ten greatest wins vs. the Porters, with a few extra thrown in because, why not, it’s cookie night.


Honorable Mention

Nixon & Phillips Power Baseball | May 14, 1986

Jordan Nixon pitched a three-hit gem and did not allow an earned run while Rob Dambra (3 hits, 3 RBI) and Brad Phillips (3 hits, 4 RBI) powered the offense as the Bears defeated the Porters 14-3 at home.

The Surprise Blowout | January 14, 2005

In one of coach Mike Hickey’s 10 favorite victories, the boys’ basketball team rolled a strong Porters team in a 59-34 trouncing. The Friday night clash in Swanson Gymnasium was slated to be one of the games of the year in League VIII. Both teams were undefeated in league play at 5-0, but it remained to be seen if the Bears could match-up with the fast-breaking Porters. The result was something no one, not even Coach Hickey, could have anticipated. With starting point guard Matt Rooney absent, the Bears destroyed their east end rivals and the highly-touted Ryan Creighton, the future second-leading scorer in New York State history. Freshman Mitch Singer connected from anywhere and everywhere on the floor while twin towers Jason Webster and Isom Chapelle anchored a stingy defense. Senior captain Mike Hickey had the shot of the night, drilling a 60-footer at the first quarter buzzer.

Back to Winning Ways | February 1, 2010

The boys’ basketball team defended the home floor, taking down the Porters, 62-49, for the first time since 2007. The Bears trailed by two after the first quarter and by a point at halftime before clawing back to carry a one-point lead into the fourth behind balanced scoring from Logan Vimont, Mike Webster, Jovan George, and Farqu Taylor. The vaunted Bear defense held the potent Greenport offense to just five points over the final eight minutes while the Blue and White poured in 17, ten coming from Tim Pandolfi who finished with a team-high 20.


The Top 10 Wins vs. Greenport

#10 | Bears Edge Porters | May 8, 1974

Behind Doug Korber’s school record-setting five hits, the Shrikes came back to stun the Porters in a walk-off win. Through two innings Greenport held a 3-0 advantage, but the Brook unleashed a barrage in the bottom of the 3rd, scoring seven runs to take a commanding lead. The Porters and Shrikes each tacked on another run in the 5th and were held scoreless in the 6th. As the game moved to the 7th, the Brook looked to be in control, holding an 8-4 lead, but the Porters responded by exploding for seven runs in the inning to grab an 11-8 advantage. With the Shrikes facing the prospect of a difficult defeat, they resisted the urge to make up the deficit with one powerful swing and instead showed incredible patience at the plate. They utilized three walks and a single in the inning to bring four across the plate for a wild, come-from-behind, 12-11 victory.

#9 | Beerman & Girls Tennis Persevere | September 13, 1989

The girls’ tennis squad opened their season on the east end of the Island against Greenport/Southold in a League VII tilt. Freshman Porter Beermann put the Bears on top early with a marathon battle that was ultimately ended by darkness. After dropping the first set handily 1-6, Beermann fought back to win the tiebreaker in the second set 7-6 (7-5) and was ahead 4-2 in the final frame when dusk fell, giving her the first of her team-high 13 wins that season. Stony Brook fell behind 1-3 after the singles matches, dropping each of their losses in straight sets. For the Bears to win, the doubles teams had to sweep, and the tandems of Maria Lofgren/Kristen Willumstad, Christy Sweet/Arden Teurfs, and Denise Crowley/Adeeb Mohiuddin came through, dropping only seven of their 43 combined games.

#8 | Armstrong’s Clutch FTs Help Bears Escape | January 20, 1998

The boys’ basketball team traveled to Greenport looking to improve to 10-1 on the season, but knew it would not be an easy prospect. The Bears fell behind quickly 12-17 after the first quarter but fought back to within three at halftime. Over the second and third quarters, the Bears’ defense held the Porters to just 12 points and, after winning the third frame 14-5, during which Jon and Dave Marvin scored all of the Brook’s points, the Blue and White took a 35-29 into the final quarter. Greenport began with a quick 5-0 run to get within one, ushering in a back-and-forth final frame. Over the next 6:17 there would be six lead changes and four ties as both teams battled for control. Trailing 44-46, Jon Marvin drilled a 3-pointer, his third of the game, with just 26 seconds remaining. A score by Nate Howell pushed the Brook lead to 49-46 with 10 seconds remaining, but a buzzer-beating 3-pointer left the teams deadlocked at 49-49 at the end of regulation.

Greenport scored the first five points of overtime and still held a 56-52 edge with just 1:12 remaining. Jon Marvin hit two free throws and Dave Marvin followed with a jumper to knot the score with 48 seconds left. The Porters took a 58-56 lead with 26 seconds remaining and on the ensuing possession reserve player Redell Armstrong was fouled, putting him on the line for a 1-and-1 with 16 ticks showing on the scoreboard. In the ten previous games Armstrong had averaged two points and had a free throw percentage of 40% (4/10).  Now, he was on the line with the contest’s outcome in the balance. In a clutch performance he sank both free throws to tie the game at 58-58.  After a huge defensive stand by the Bears, Dave Marvin was fouled with 8 seconds remaining, connecting on the second of two free throws to seal the 59-58 victory. The Marvin brothers scored 63% of the team’s points as Jon led all scorers with 21 and Dave added 16. Seth Kuhn and Sam Sherman each chipped in 8.

#7 | Late Comeback Gives Baseball the Win | May 2, 2011

As the Bears entered the bottom of the 6th inning, down just 1-0, any prospect of a comeback looked doubtful with Greenport’s Mark Pagano pitching the way he was. At that point the Porters’ ace had yielded just one hit and had struck out five of the last six batters he faced.

However, the Bears rallied for three runs in the inning to steal the game. Pablo Celis and Don Liotine began the inning with back-to-back singles. A wild pitch followed to move them to second and third before Ryan Haas roped a single, allowing Celis and Liotine to score and give the Bears a 2-1 edge. Pagano battled back with consecutive strikeouts, but Dan Colasanto followed with a triple to left-center to score Haas for the final margin.

Greenport had a chance to come back in the top of the 7th, with runners at second and third with nobody out, when Stony Brook coach John Musmacker called on Liotine to finish the game. He began by striking out Austin Hooks, before plunking a batter to load the bases. Unflappable as always, be responded by inducing a pop-up and a ground-out to get the save.

#6 | Football Unleashes Barrage | October 9, 1926

William Baker and Herbert Williams led the way as the Brook put up the most points in school history.

With two weeks of good practice the team began to round into shape, so that when they played the gridders at Greenport, the only outcome possible was a defeat for Stony Brook’s opposition. The backfield played a game of tag with the Greenport lads which ended with a score of 64-0.

~ Res Gestae 1927

#5 | Baseball Walks Off | April 14, 1992

The Bears jumped out to a thre-run lead in the 1st inning on an RBI double by Adam Fraser, a run-scoring single by Brent Van Slooten, and an RBI double by Adam Belesimo. The Porters struck back in the top of the 2nd with four runs of their own to take the lead, then added to their edge with two more scores in the 3rd. Their lead was short-lived as the Bears brought five men across the plate in the bottom of the 3rd to grab an 8-6 advantage. Both sides scored a run in the 4th and after the Porters scored on a triple and a wild pitch in the 6th, the game was left deadlocked at 9-9 heading into the final inning. After a hitless top of the 7th for the Porters, Kyeng Mun led off the bottom of the inning with a walk. After a stolen base by Mun, a pinch-hit single by Vincent Fuca, and an intentional walk to Ryan Van Slooten, Paul Guidos stepped up to the plate with the bases loaded and one out. The junior came through for the Brook with a game-winning sacrifice fly that scored Mun for the winning run.

#4 | Soccer Comes Back on Homecoming | October 11, 2008

On Homecoming Weekend, the boys’ soccer team gave the alums a thrilling, come-from-behind victory over the Porters on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. After trailing early in the match, the Bears surged to take a 2-1 lead into halftime. The Porters equalized midway through the second half and it looked as though the two squads were headed for overtime until Anuraag Sah came through in the 72nd minute to steal the victory.

Sophomore Anuraag Sah scored for Stony Brook with seven minutes left in the second half, after a great effort was made by junior Charlie Kwak to get him the ball, to lead Stony Brook to a 3-2 win over Greenport. Also scoring for Stony Brook were seniors Franz Lawrence and Hans Parker. Sophomore Wes Woodley played well in goal and made several alert saves, persevering the win.

~ Newsday

#3 | Washington’s Play Steals it for the Brook | January 31, 2012

In a tightly contested game that would ultimately help determine the League VIII Championship, the Bears prevailed on Greenport’s floor thanks to the heroics of Jerome Washington. The Bears were clinging to a one-point lead in the closing seconds when Washington picked up a loose ball at mid-court, drove to the basket, scored, and was fouled. He hit the free throw to give the Brook a thrilling 43-39 win that would play a major factor in helping them clinch their first League Championship since 2007. Washington finished with 15 points and 15 rebounds

#2 | Boys Soccer Clinches League Title | October 27, 2004

Less than one week after defeating Mattituck on their hallowed ground to clinch a share of first place in League VIII, the Bears had a battle in their final regular season game of the season. Greenport came to campus with the Bears needing a win in order to clinch a share of the League Championship with the Tuckers. The game was a tightly contested and 70 minutes of scoreless soccer ticked off of the clock. Then, with 10 minutes remaining, the Porters struck a mighty blow to the Bear’s title hopes by scoring the game’s first goal. Even if the boys could find a way to tie the game, a draw would allow Mattituck to leapfrog the Brook and win League VIII. With probability and time working against them, the Blue and White set about resurrecting their Championship dreams. Minutes after Greenport’s dagger, Matt Woodley equalized the game, courtesy of an assist by Chris Higgins, sending the crowd into a frenzy. They could not have known, but the best was yet to come. With three minutes left Higgins struck again, this time scoring off of a corner kick to vault the Bears into a thrilling, impossible, magical 2-1 lead. The Stony Brook bench erupted in disbelief, the crowd was rendered delirious, and the boys charged upfield with the 123rd League Championship in school history firmly in their grasp. It was an epic victory, a true miracle, and as Mike Hickey ’05 neatly summed up:

It was the best 8 minutes of soccer, ever.

#1 | Knowles Beats the Buzzer | February 6, 2007

The boys’ basketball team earned one of coach Mike Hickey’s 10 favorite victories in one of the most electrifying games in Stony Brook basketball history. The Bears stood at 9-1 in the league, their only loss coming by three points against an undefeated Greenport squad on January 9. The boys would have to win the rematch in order to clinch a share of the League VIII Championship, but would have to do it without starters Lou Pizzichillo and Efe Mokedi, both sidelined with injuries. Before the team got off the bus coach Hickey addressed his team and told them that champions overcome adversity and that they could persevere despite the seemingly insurmountable hindrances before them.

The Bears scored the game’s first three points, but fell behind 9-15 by the end of the quarter as the Porters’ Ryan Creighton, New York’s second all-time leading scorer, got off to a quick start with seven points in the frame. Greenport’s lead grew to as much as 10, but they went into the break up by seven. Balanced scoring from the Blue and White enabled them to take the third frame, 15-12, as Mitch Singer (4 points), Christian Wentling (4), Eli Knowles (3), Peter Carmel (2), and Jerry Panzu (2) shared the load.

The Bears entered the decisive quarter down just by just four. Over the course of the eight minutes, the lead changed hands five times as the two league heavyweights attempted to fell the other. The Brook grabbed their first lead since 5:16 remained in the opening quarter when Singer buried his second 3-pointer of the frame to grab a 48-46 edge. After consecutive scores gave Greenport the lead back with 1:32 left, Singer buried another trifecta for a 51-50 edge with 36.5 seconds remaining. Creighton scored to give the home team a 52-51 advantage with 26.8 seconds showing on the clock. Coach Hickey called timeout and set up a Princeton backdoor played that “worked to absolute perfection,” as he remembered, until Panzu’s layup was stymied by an incredible block by Greenport’s big man.

Creighton grabbed the rebound and was immediately fouled by Singer with just seven seconds left. The All-Long Island forward had a chance to extend the lead but missed the front end of the 1-and-1 and Singer snared the rebound. He raced down the court as the seconds waned, slithered through a double-team, and found Knowles, a freshman, on the opposite side of the court who buried an 18-footer at the buzzer to clinch a share of the League VIII Championship, 53-52. In the aftermath the Bears stormed the floor in celebration while the Greenport fans sat in stunned silence. Singer finished with 21 points including 12 of the team’s 16 in the final quarter. Carmel added 11 and Knowles, the hero, chipped in with 9. The Championship was the fifth of coach Hickey’s career to go along with banners from 1993, 1994, 2003, and 2005.


Bear Paw Thumbnail
No comments yet

Leave a comment! GO BEARS!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: