Skip to content

Boys’ Soccer Still a Royal Pain

September 17, 2017

On Friday night the boys’ soccer team evened their league record at 2-2 with a huge 3-1 victory over Port Jeff.

The Bears won the previous six matches against their neighboring rivals by an aggregate score of 30-7 and it was clear from the outset that the Royals were eager to rewrite the script. The visitors mounted several promising attacks in the opening half and it took every ounce of effort, and every inch of the field, to keep them off the board. At the 16:30 mark, David Choi made one of the plays of the year by chasing down a ball destined for the back of the net and clearing it off the line just in time after keeper Sam Han was forced to engage the forward near the top of the box. Less than two minutes later the Royals earned a penalty kick after a foul in the box, but sent the shot wide right to keep the score even at 0-0. Each team had numerous chances over the remaining minutes, but headed into the half deadlocked at 0-0.

In their 4-1 comeback victory over Smithtown Christian on Monday, the Bears erupted for four goals in the second half. In similar fashion they found the back of the net three times to pull away on Friday. The first came less than three minutes into the second half when Chris Swiatek fielded a short goal kick and placed a deft touch to Jai Narain. Narain shielded his defender from the ball, then turned and megged him with a shot that found the left side netting. The Bears appeared to be in control, but Port Jeff remained relentless and equalized less than six minutes later.

Fifteen minutes of tense soccer ensued as both teams vied for control. Then, at the 16:25 mark, Tiger Winston sent a corner kick toward the net. The ball landed in front of the six yard box where chaos ensued as Narain went down while trying to finish the shot. The Port Jeff keeper had the ball in his fingers, but fell over Narain trying to secure it. That left Swiatek with a clean look at the ball and he made the most of the opportunity by burying it in the left side netting for the eventual game-winner.

Port Jeff pushed forward in an attempt to even the score, leaving them exposed to counterattack and the Bears made them pay with 9:09 remaining. After the Royals lost possession in the last third of the field, the Bears pushed the ball in the opposite direction. Jake Aretz fed Narain down the left sideline, who raced past his defender and hit a screamer from twelve yards that found the back of the goal, all but assuring the Bears of victory. The defense did its job over the remaining nine scrappy minutes to give the Bears the win. Narain’s two goals gave him five on the season, good enough for 5th place in League VIII.

Han’s performance in goal cannot be overstated. He consistently made the right decision by leaving his line and cutting down the angles of Royal attackers. Port Jeff had numerous opportunities and Han was a major reason why they came away with only one goal.

The Bears return to action on Tuesday as Mercy visits Fitch Field.


Bear Paw Thumbnail

2 Comments leave one →
  1. Anonymous permalink
    September 17, 2017 2:57 PM

    The music for the video is perfect!


Leave a comment! GO BEARS!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: